It was thanks to the existence of the castle, built in 1189 for the knights of Barbarossa and later inherited by King Charles of Bohemia, that the town of Mylau came into being. Town status was declared on the small settlement at the foot of the castle by King Charles IV in 1367 and he is still remembered in the Mylau Coat of Arms.
The castle is pereceived today as the most well preserved in the area and contains many interesting architectural elements, from Roman to Gothic, from Baroque to Renaissance.
The castle keep is 27m high with metre-thick walls and two courtyards. The three different styles of tower are particularly interesting.
Around 1900 some interior redesigning took place,
resulting in some valuable, opulently decorated Historicism-style rooms.
The castle also houses the Regional Museum, in existence since 1883, containing the biggest Natural History collection in Vogtland. It also includes exhibitions on the history of the castle and town, the building of the Gölzschtal bridge, local industry and Vogtland art.
The Evangelical-Lutheran church contains one of the internationally renowned late-Gothic Silbermann organs; built by Gottfried Silberman in 1731, and acquired for the original church.
At the foot of the castle, in the market place is the impressive red brick neo-Gothic Church with its towering steeple of 72 metres. It was built in 1890, on the site of a small Roman church which had stood there from 1250 to 1887.
[Vogtland] [Göltzschtalbridge] [Netzschkau]